I spent some time refactoring the project to be cross compatible across a maximum number of devices. I had to change from High Definition Render Pipeline to Universal Render Pipeline. I decided to do that early on as I do not want to be too much into debt when I eventually would have had to make the jump. HDRP is supported by high end devices, where as URP is supported by pretty much everything.
To my delight, the graphical quality did not suffer too much. The game looks identical on all platforms now and the frame-rate is great on all. Naturally no graphics exist yet so…
To make the hotspots a little more visible I added a code that brightens up their outlines based on cursor distance. I thought that this would be a nice touch to the UI and make hunting hidden objects a lot less frustrating.
And while I was upgrading the graphics, I added some head-, reverse-, tail- and brake-lights for the car. While working on the lights and testing how the game runs on iOS & PC, I run into issues with the car steering. So I added braking for the car to bring down max speed when going too fast. Then the car started to drive a lot more carefully so the reverse steering did not work anymore as it would turn quicker and just bump into everything. This required me to create a proper sensor array for the back of the car, so that it would know to avoid obstacles, brake and un-reverse direction when at a dead end. It was not such a difficult task to do and I think that the car functions a lot better now and is a lot more reliable!
I also tweaked the car AI in numerous other ways too to make it behave better in as many cases as possible.
One thing I learned from getting the game to run on all platforms is that making the touch-screen controls work just the way I want will be a lot of work..
Oh gods now that I think of it I need to completely redo the interactions and movement for gamepad controls too (playstation, nintendo, xbox).
You may also notice a getting in car animation and getting out of car animation. I captured these animations using a mocap suit and there will be a full blog post coming about capturing a full body performance for realtime use, cleaning up the mocap data and how to tweak and fix it.
Modeling the character was at the same time easy and hard. It was easy because the graphics are so low polygon that is really fast to get things modeled. But at the same time it was extremely hard because it is easy to add too many polygons and loose the low polygon aesthetic.
Fresh screenshots of the second update to the game hero car. I also captured the car in-game and the AI crashed whthe car while filming. A lovely little thing! I added all the missing bits and bobs to the car: door handles, front bumper detail, front licence plate and fixed the overall shape of the car front to better match […]
This week I spent a few evenings working on the car 3D model. I already knew I wanted the car to be a Chevrolet Caprice from 1987. This would be an accurate car for a detective in New York in the year 1991.
This week I do not have any major update written, but a bunch of smaller things that I have been working on: motion capture, particle effects and vegetation.
Working on the car AI has been more enjoyable than I thought. I was driving in my car today and could not stop thinking about how the car in my game needs to “think” in order to get from place to another faster.